Develop Your Own Plugins
Universities, E&P companies, 3rd party vendors , and of course dGB Earth Sciences use OpendTect to develop plugins for added functionality. These plugins can be open source, commercial or proprietary plugins.
Advantages of developing in OpendTect
- R&D can focus on algorithms rather than ‘side topics’ like visualization, data handling and user interface issues
- OpendTect is an innovative and advanced open source environment
- OpendTect is an inexpensive and a constantly growing system
- OpendTect streamlines research at E&P companies, since it replaces a multitude of formats and separate programs, that are now hampering progress. OpendTect functions as an umbrella, bringing everything together, hence securing continuity
- 3rd party vendors use OpendTect since it is quickly becoming a standard at E&P companies, making niche products easier to sell
OpendTect is a software system written in C++. Internally, OpendTect exclusively uses open source tools and it is built using the GNU C/C++ compiler. For the standard user interface the Qt library is used. 3D graphics and manipulation are provided by the Open Inventor implementation OpenSceneGraph.
For more information visit the OpendTect's Programmers Page.