[Developers] plugins with no data produced

Bert Bril bert at opendtect.org
Mon Jun 28 21:54:04 CEST 2004

Hi,

> I just have programmed a plugin with a fixed parameter and worked.
> But when in the plugin of user interface i add a list for choosing
> a value of that parameter, the plugin does not calculate anything and
> displays anything.

 From this description - being somewhat short - I understand that you
tried to just add a UI class in the Init function of the plugin. That
won't work.

The OpendTect user interface, like almost all modern user interfaces, is
event driven. Roughly, this means that you describe:

1) What should be on the screen
2) What should happen on certain events

The program itself starts an endless loop, reacting on input from the user.

Probably one of the simplest examples of a UI in OpendTect is the
uiHello plugin. More useful is the plugin you get when using:

% make PLAN_B=yes

So, if you look into plugins/uiHello/uihellopi.cc you will probably find
the example you need to get started. Although it is possible to omit
workign with the menu, sooner or later you'll want to add menu items,
tool buttons, or tree items. I think the example also shows how easy it
is to do that.

> What reasons could be if the message "no data produced" is displayed?

I did an extensive search of this error message in the code but I
couldn't find it. Is that the exact message? When does it appear? Where?

Bert Bril