[Developers] new attribute engine

Helene Payraudeau helene.payraudeau at dgb-group.com
Wed May 18 15:33:18 CEST 2005

Dear all,

I am now working on a whole new attribute engine which will, I hope, be
more flexible and faster than the old one.

One of the most inportant changes : the calculation of the attributes is
no longer made on traces but using a whole new object, the DataHolder.
What is it? You may have seen the  new class ValueSeries
(Basic/valseries.h-cc), the dataholder contains an ObjectSet<
ValueSeries<float> > which holds the value of every sample of the Seistrc.
Advantage : in case of an attribute which has other attributes as
inputs, data are available in the corresponding dataholders so it saves
a lot of time ( easier and much faster to read some floats in a
ValueSeries than to get values from a SeisTrc )
Stored data are still read from cubes of Seistrc and written the same way.
AND : the reference is no longer time but sample number.

To avoid reading same data several times the parsing of the attributes
is now uncoupled from the processing ( attrib calculator has gone ).
The attrib executor has also disappeared, a lot of its job is done by
the attrib provider ;  the attrib output class is, in that new version,
only aware of its own existance,  no dependencies on  processor or
provider.

Hopefully this will be part of a release before the EAGE. Of course each
attribute has to be "translated" to fit with the new version. As soon as
the new Engine is ready I will provide a notice so that you can figure
out how new attributes have to be written in the future to be ok with
the new Attribute Engine.

If you want further information, don't hesitate to contact me.

--
-- dGB Earth Sciences B.V.
-- Nijverheidstraat 11-2, 7511 JM Enschede, The Netherlands