[Developers] Release plans

Bert Bril Bert.Bril at opendtect.org
Fri Nov 17 14:27:45 CET 2006

Hi all,

The last months have been very fruitful: lots of things added to
OpendTect. We have therefore had a meeting here about what to release
when. The following scheme has come up:

* In a few weeks:
    * Stable 2.4.2. Very safe additions and some bug fixes
    * Development 2.5.3. More or less a snapshot of the current CVS
      repository.
* Start of Jan.:
    * Development 2.5.4. With Qt4 instead of Qt3.
* During Feb.:
    * Stable 3.0 (beta at start, 'final' at end of month)

The main target for us is to get a 3.0 with at least:
* Qt4 including URL access from within OpendTect
* 2D viewers: integrated and available for programming
* 2D tracking of horizons
* Things that are already in the dev. release, like Wavelets,
   Attribute groups, Separate IOM() directories, generalized
   import/export ...

It's not unlikely that there will also be a fair number of classes
dealing with pre-stack data (SEG-Y import, gather display).

For people wanting to release their plugins right now, I'd suggest to
release a beta first based on the development branch, making sure you
store your specific data in your own IOM() directory (see my post on Oct
17) because nothing is more tiring than supporting legacy data. When 3.0
appears, things should just be re-compile&go, because a stable release
is nothing more than a quarantined development release.

/Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- Nijverheidstraat 11-2, 7511 JM Enschede, The Netherlands