[Developers] Re: [Users] Mac users only: Mac/Intel

Graham Bowyer graham at bowyer.uk.net
Fri Jul 20 10:03:14 CEST 2007

Bert,

I am not a programmer, but my limited knowledge is that:

Code produced for PPC only, also runs on Intel Mac through an
emulator/translator called Rosetta. This is entirely transparent to
the average user, though experts report some loss of performance due
to the extra layer.

Code built as 'Universal', runs natively on both PPC and Intel.
Presumably, the application bundle contains code compiled for both
PPC and Intel.

I have been doing some testing of OpendTect on an Intel mac. I can't
see any difference between running the code on Intel or PPC.

Best regards,
Graham