[Developers] Version 4.0.1b and rebuild

Bert Bril Bert.Bril at opendtect.org
Tue Sep 15 09:00:45 CEST 2009

Hi all,

As you know, we have a numbering system with patch numbers for binary
compatible releases.

As you may also know, we have tried to maintain this compatibility right
down from the largely internal 3.4 releases.

By now, we have sort of cheated a bit a few times to solve otherwise
irreparable problems. The plugins still load, but new data members may
corrupt the stack - even though we added them to the end of the classes.
Can be OK, but not the usual guarantees when objects are allocated on
the stack.

Therefore, I'd like everyone to re-build their plugins using 4.0.1a or
later.

Next to obvious things like not removing or renaming classes, functions
etc, there are two golden rules for the interfaces:
* No new virtual functions
* No new data members
The former changes ugly things like the virtual tables, the latter
changes the size of the object.

Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- mailto:Bert.Bril at opendtect.org , http://opendtect.org