[OpendTect_Developers] What is the actual state of the project?

Júlio Hoffimann julio.hoffimann at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 13:05:20 CET 2010

Hi Bert,

When trying to reproduce the "error" to fix it, i noted that is not a file
permission problem, something wrong is happening and i don't know what. I
read the script generated by Makeself and seems to be ok. Let me explain...

Every downloaded file in Linux has it's execution flag setted to off
(security reasons), so the current installation process is something like
this:

$ chmod  +x unix-devel-opendtect-4.0.1.download (give execution permission)
$ ./unix-devel-opendtect-4.0.1.download (run)

The script unpack the *.tar.gz file and try to run ./inst_gpl_pkgs.od, this
message appears:

eval: 1: ./inst_gpl_pkgs.od: not found

Aparently a simple file permission problem, but the unpacked script is ok
with the execution flag on. I tried to find errors in Makeself script,
looking for wildcards characters expansions inside ' ' instead of " ",
nothing strange. Anyway, i didn't want to install at that moment, for me was
better this error had occured :-).

The INSTALL_NOTES file i told is a simple text file inside *.tar.gz
explaining to the user how to install OpendTect:

This is OpendTect, a geocientists software developed by dGB, ...
It's under three different licenses: GNU gPL, ...

How to install:
===========
./inst_gpl_pkgs.od

The installation difficulty increase is insignificant and Makeself is not
crucial:

Unpack *.tar.gz
$ ./inst_gpl_pkgs.od

But the better approach in Linux systems is to use distribution's
repositories. You don't need to dispense time creating an installer for
Linux. I don't know how hard is it, but certainly is the better approach to
disseminate OpendTect in such systems.

These videos illustrates what i talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8xzFgux-PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHBDd0GGWEY

The second one is an old version of the Ubuntu system, but shows how simple
the installation can be.

Every Linux distribution (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Debian, Red Hat, Fedora, Suse,
...) has it's own "software center", a program capable of download and
install softwares in repositories with one click. There is a rumor that
Microsoft will copy this feature too in Windows 8.

Best regards,
Júlio.