[OpendTect_Developers] OpenSceneGraph experiences

Jaap Glas Jaap.Glas at dgbes.com
Fri Dec 2 11:07:49 CET 2011

Dear fellow developers,

We have just started a development process to integrate a different
3D graphics library into OpendTect. Currently, we use the OpenInventor
clone Coin3D (www.coin3d.org) from Kongsberg to visualize seismics
and earth model objects in our 3D scene(s). We have chosen to go for
OpenSceneGraph (www.openscenegraph.org) in the future. Both packages
provide a higher layer of programming for the OpenGL (www.opengl.org)
graphics library. However, the much more lively development community
of OpenSceneGraph is expected to offer OpendTect superior graphical
performance on the long run.

I am a freshman in programming with OpenSceneGraph, and I am wondering
whether the OpendTect developers community contains people who already
have programming experience (good or bad) with OpenSceneGraph. The new
3D visualization layers of OpendTect might benefit from this.

Best regards,

Jaap Glas

--
-- dr. Jaap C. Glas
-- Software Engineer
-- jaap.glas at dgbes.com
-- http://www.dgbes.com
-- Tel: +31 534315155, Fax: +31 534315104