[OpendTect_Developers] On variances.

Bruno Chaintreuil bruno.chaintreuil at dgbes.com
Thu Nov 17 16:58:00 CET 2011

Dear Fidel, All,

Thanks for sharing your experience!

It might indeed be related to a precision issue, but it might also be
that the algorithm they use (the one I gave previously) is not the best
one.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithms_for_calculating_variance

We also implemented the Two-pass algorithm in OpendTect, which is often
more accurate.

Best Regards,
Bruno

--