[OpendTect_Developers] OD_USER_PLUGIN_DIR/ OD_APPL_PLUGIN_DIR behaviour in 4.4

Corrao Antonio Antonio.Corrao at eni.com
Thu Dec 20 08:58:26 CET 2012

Dear all,
I have begun porting my own plugins to opendtect 4.4.
In our deployment configuration we use OD_USER_PLUGIN_DIR/ OD_APPL_PLUGIN_DIR a lot to keep many configurations available at the same time.

Now, examining 4.4 release, my question is: does the OD_USER_PLUGIN_DIR work as in 4.2?
I noticed that now plugins libraries are under bin/lux64 whereas the .alo files are in a different location (in version 4.2 the directory plugin directory contained the .alo and a lib directory with the .so files).
I tried arranging the plugin libraries and .alo the same way I did with 4.2 but it does not seem to work any more.
Browsing the documentation it seems that you must put all the libraries in the bin/lux64 dir, and keep just the alo files under the plugin directory; quoting from the online help:

"The publishing and distribution of OpendTect plugins is pretty straightforward. The .alo files can be installed in the plugins/platform ($DTECT_APPL/plugins/$HDIR) directory, while the actual plugins (the .DLL, .so or .dylib files) go in the normal bin sub-directory"

So is it true that if I want to make my own plugin autoload it must be placed in the program bin directory? Usually that is not possible as the permissions do not allow me to write there.
Also, copying my libraries into that directory is not advisable (keeping stuff separate helps when you manage multiple releases of your own plugins).
I used the previous directory environment variables OD_USER_PLUGIN_DIR/ OD_APPL_PLUGIN_DIR to make  users see different subsets of the plugins, or even different releases of the same.
Now it seems that all libraries must reside in bin/lux64.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
AC

Antonio Corrao
[cid:image001.gif at 01CC1F96.78739D20]
Geophysical Studies & Geophysics for Reservoir
eni S.p.A. - Exploration & Production Division
5° P.U. - Via Emilia, 1 - 20097
Room: 4020E - 4th floor East side
San Donato Milanese (MI), Italy
mailto: antonio.corrao at eni.com<mailto:antonio.corrao at eni.com>
Phone: +39 02 520 61150
Fax:     +39 02 520 63897

eni spa
Sede Legale
Piazzale Enrico Mattei, 1
00144 Roma - Italia

Capitale sociale
euro 4.005.358.876,00 i.v.
Codice Fiscale e Registro Imprese di Roma n. 00484960588
Partita IVA n. 00905811006
R.E.A. Roma n. 756453

Sedi secondarie:
Via Emilia, 1 e Piazza Ezio Vanoni, 1
20097 San Donato Milanese (Milano) - Italia

eni.com<http://www.eni.com>

Message for the recipient only, if received in error, please notify the sender and read http://www.eni.com/disclaimer/