[OpendTect_Developers] Support building OpendTect with QT > 4.5.3

oemergenc at gmail.com oemergenc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 16:45:39 CEST 2012

Hey Nanne,

thanks for pointing me in the right direction and saving a lot of my time.
I cannot imagine how much time i would have wasted trying to build
OpendTect against QT 4.6 and 4.7.
The fact that it runs using QT 4.8.2 is absolutely nice. Unfortenately i
wasnt able to get it runnung on my environment.
Maybe you can give me more detailed information about your setup and the
steps it takes to get OpendTect running with QT 4.8.2.

I would appreciate for any hint. Here is a detailed description of my setup:

1) I am working on Windows7 using Visual Studio 2010

2) Opendtect
I downloaded the opensource version of OpendTect 4.4.0 (32bit) with the
installer available from here:
http://www.opendtect.org/index.php/Download-document/230-devel-|-win32-Complete-package.html

3) QT
I used the installer of QT 4.8.2 for Visual Studio 2010 available form here:
http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/windows-cpp-vs2010

4) Coin3D
I downloaded the latest versions of Coin3D, SoQT, SIMVoleon and SImage from
the mercury repository, in detail:

COIN 3.1.3
https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/coin/downloads/Coin-3.1.3.zip
SoQt 1.5.0
https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/coin/downloads/SoQt-1.5.0.zip
SImage 1.7.0
https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/simage/get/default.zip
SIMVoleon 99617b213037
https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/simvoleon/get/default.zip

I am able to build the libraries and even OpendTect, but unfortenately
OpendTect immediately crashed after launching without a meaningfull error
message.

Maybe you can identify a difference between our setups, that is responsable
for the failure.
Did you build QT 4.8.2 from source on your own? If so, could you please
show me which configuration you used?

Thanks in advance,
Ömer