[OpendTect_Developers] Using OpendTect as platform for research without being OpendTect developer?

HighPerformance Computing highperformance.computing.1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 09:21:10 CET 2013

Hello everyone,

We are trying to use OpendTect in academic researches to develop some
plugins.

Currently, we are trying to see if we can develop the plugins we want in
OpendTect instead of commercial software that is being currently used.

This requires accessing and manipulating the objects inside Opendtect such
as seismic, horizons, faults, fault sticks, polygons, wells, markers and so
on.

We find that there is no enough information how to do such plugins except
for simple tutorial on accessing seismic and horizons. Also, we found the
classes docs and I am not sure if this is what only available and if
everything else lift for a type of reverse engineering? In my opinion, if
this is true, it will be impossible to do this independently except for the
OpendTect developers or the people around them how can get the help
directly from them.

So I want to know if this is the case and:

If there is documentation we do not know about for developers?

If there is sample code on how to access and manipulate main objects?

If Opendtect meant to be used by non-Opendtect developer to develop plugins
(practically with enough documentations and samples)?

Any additional recommendation would be appreciated before we decide?

Thank you very much,