[OpendTect_Developers] Releasing own OpendTect build

Ömer Genc oemergenc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 18:50:41 CEST 2013

Hey there,

currently i am trying to release my own OpendTect build. I have successfully
build OpendTect with all dependencies (Coin3D, SoQt, SimVoleon, SImage). I
am developing using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and OpendTect 4.4. When
debugging my application using MSVC2010 OpendTect starts and works
correctly. What I would like to do is starting my OpendTect from the file
system without the need to run MSVC2010.

Therefore I am making sure that the PATH environment variable includes all
paths to the external libraries like Qt, Coin3D, SoQt etc

I am also making sure that the DTECT_APPL and WORK environment variables are
pointing to the root of my OpendTect directory.

I would like to be able to run my compiled version of OpendTect on any other
machine.

However, the problem is, that my OpendTect build seems to have problems to
create the .od directory in the HOME directory of the user. After is starts
up, it crashes immediately. When I create it manually and put in the files
that OpendTect would normally create on his own (e.g settings, survey files)
my OpendTect build starts.

Now my OpendTect asks to point to the DTECT_DATA directory and if I would
like to install the demo survey into it. When I confirm this, my OpendTect
build again crashes immediately.

Any suggestions on this? Why might this happen?

I would to have my own version of OpendTect that I can copy to another
machine.

Thanks in advance,

Ömer