[OpendTect_Developers] Documentation for Plugin Programmers

Jim Baerg jbaerg at geoseis.ca
Mon Apr 7 23:46:42 CEST 2014

I have written several programs for the company I work for, which do batch
processing on SEGY format seismic files. I'm trying to learn enough about
OpendTect plugins to know if it would be worth my time to turn these
programs into plugins.

I have a few questions:

I am trying to use the Tutorial Plugin to gain some understanding, & I have
compiled it in debug mode. However, when I use Utilities->Plugins to load
it & then use Utilities->Tools->TutTools->Seismic (Direct) to start it,
OpendTect crashes. See attached dump file. Do you have any hints on how to
get it to not crash?

Most of my programs for the last several years have been nominally in C++,
but I have mostly used C with just a little of the object oriented features
of C++. So I'm finding the documentation in
http://opendtect.org/rel/doc/Programmer/Generated/html/modules.html
to be a rather cryptic, & not very helpful in telling me how to call the
functions & classes if I rewrite my programs to be plugins. Is there any
more basic documentation that might be helpful?

Although this
http://lists.opendtect.org/pipermail/developers/2011-April/000251.html
tells me that I need to use SeisTrcReader & SeisTrcWriter to get the trace
data into my programs, I haven't yet found what I need to use to get the
sort of data that in SEGY format is in the binary or trace headers, like XY
data, inline & crossline numbers, sample interval, number of samples per
trace etc.

Where can I find this sort of information?

Thank You
Jim Baerg

PS: I sent a similar message to support at dgbes a few weeks ago & got the
reply:
_________________________________
Hi Jim,

This sounds interesting, though outside of my area of expertise... to
answer your questions, I have Cc-ed two colleagues who can help you much
better than I.

Bert: Could you, please, take up Jim's questions? Thanks.
Raman: Could you, please, check the documentation and see what needs
updating (with Ranojay?)? Thanks.

Very best regards,

Mark
I haven't heard anything from Bert or Raman.