[Users] Status OpendTect - Madagascar Integration

Paul de Groot paul.degroot at opendtect.org
Mon Jul 2 14:02:35 CEST 2007

Dear colleagues,

Herewith, I'd like to give you a small update on the proposal to link
OpendTect to an open source seismic processing package.

We considered SU and Madagascar. From the feedback received (thanks
everybody) it is clear that there is a strong desire amongst our users
to go for Madagascar ( http://rsf.sourceforge.net/ ). The first contacts
with the Madagascar people have been made and some initial tests have
been conducted to establish the feasibility of our plans.

We envisage a 4-month integration project. At the end of this project
the user can launch a Madagascar processing flow builder from inside
OpendTect. In the builder seismic pre- and post-stack, in- and output
files are either OpendTect or Madagascar formatted. The processing flow
is further constructed as a sequence of Madagascar programs with their
parameters. The programs are selected from a list of available programs
while Madagascar help files will be there to guide the user. Processing
flows launched from the builder are executed in batch mode. Output saved
in OpendTect format can be further analyzed in OpendTect. Alternatively,
the user can save processing flows created in the builder and open these
as attributes in the attribute engine. This means that seismic
processing flows can also be integrated with OpendTect attribute
calculations and that this can be done on-the-fly and visualized
immediately.

We are now trying to raise sufficient funds to warrant this development.
I am pleased to say that we have firm commitment to sponsor the project
from two individuals: Gerhard Diephuis and Graham Bowyer. Thank you very
much! We also have two E&P companies lined up to fund part of the costs.

Please contact me if you (or your company) are also willing to chip in.
Any amount is welcome. The sooner we have the costs covered the sooner
the link will be supported to the benefit of both user communities and
seismic R&D at large.

Best regards,

Paul de Groot.

--
-- Paul de Groot
-- OpendTect Support Team
-- paul.degroot at opendtect.org
-- http://www.opendtect.org
-- Tel: +31 534315155 , Fax: +31 534315104