[Users] Red Hat Enterprise 5

David Epelboim tecnica at geoinfo.com.ar
Fri Apr 11 15:59:32 CEST 2008

ptarso at uerj.br wrote:
>> Arnaud,
>>

>>> OpendTect should run without any problem on Red Hat Entreprise 5. It is
>>> compiled on CentOs 4.5. The most common problem with new linux versions
>>> is coming the "SeLinux" that should best be disabled (ask your system
>>> administrator for the details).
>>>
>> No, he has different problems. His window manager crashes when OpendTect
>> starts. I'd call that a severe problem.
>>

>>> We use internally OpendTect on RHE4, CentOs 4.5, CentOs 5 (equivalent to
>>> RHE5) and Fedora Core 7.
>>>
>> The point of Hesam's posting is to ask people whether they have similar
>> experiences with RH5 (i.e. that it didn't/doesn't work). I already told
>> Hesam that we use CentOS 5 a lot here, and CentOS (as we all know - see
>> centos.org) is made directly from RH source files (but it's free).
>>
>> So, if anyone has/had similar problems, it may be interesting how these
>> were (not) solved ...
>>

>> Bert
>>

> Dear Bert
>
> I have the same problem when I tried to run OD in some notebooks with ubuntu.
>
> my guess is that the problem may be related to the xorg.conf file and or
> with the nvidia drive when running in some machine configuration.
>
> I tested two situations: with and without the restrict drive installed.
> when I run without the driver - it looses resolution but I could run OD,
> with the drive OD crashes.
>
> But I also have ubuntu 64 bits instaled in a desktop with the nvidia
> driver installed - OD runs OK.
>
> regards
> Paulo Menezes
> DGAP/FGEL/UERJ
Given the facts posted by you, then you should try to upgrade the nV
driver and check the xorg.conf

I don't think the xorg.conf has any trouble since you are running a
single display and it doesn't have too many things to change unless you
have tried to tweak advanced options. I've been using OD with Gentoo 64
and Suse, with different nV drivers and cards, and it's always stable.

Regards,

David.