[Users] Using OpendTect for simple time-to-depth stretch?

Mike Cline mikec at txresources.com
Thu Jan 3 15:15:21 CET 2008

Tom,

As I understand your question, you're basically wanting to know how to resample your regularly-spaced seismic time data into regularly-spaced depth samples?  Unfortunately, I can't fully answer your original question, relative to OpendTect, because I'm still a relatively new to many of its features.  I've had it for a while now, but mainly use a competitor's package for interpretation, and depth conversion, so I'm not as high up on the learning curve for it as I should be at this point.

However, I can offer an alternative solution, if you are open to some initial "quick-look" results.  For example, if it's a prospect, and you just wanted to determine whether or not to pursue it for further evaluation.  My quick-look suggestion would be to only depth convert the interpreted horizon(s) of interest with a spreadsheet.  You would still be able to see how the prospect looked in depth, without going through much of the required effort yet.

Generally, you would first export the horizon(s) from OpendTect (comma delimited ascii works best).  Then, import this ascii data into a spreadsheet, and enter a formula that includes your velocity info to calculate the layer-cake depth output.  Then graph this depth output.  I did something similar a few years ago on a fault shadow problem, before I had any seismic depth conversion capabilities, and it was pretty easy.

Hope this (partially) helps.

W. Michael "Mike" Cline
Consulting Geophysicist
T/X Resources

Phone:  (713) 665-5449
Blog:  http://txresources.com/rocks2digits/
Website:  www.txresources.com

"Combining Technology with Petroleum Exploration Since 1985"