[Users] fluid-effect-in-channel

Friso Brouwer friso.brouwer at dgb-group.com
Tue Mar 4 17:51:57 CET 2008

Dear Abdhesh,

Assessing fluid effects is complex matters and there is no one answer to
what is the right procedure, it all depends on factors as AVO class of
target, which frequency effects are present and do they have a causal
relation to HC saturation, what kind of data quality do you have. The
best procedure to go ahead is to start with the normal HC indicators and
try to develop attributes for each that work in the dataset under
consideration. For example:

*Bright spot/dim spot *(depending on AVO class):
use "energy attribute".

*AVO*:
"energy attribute" applied on the far stack and/or ratio of "energy far
stack" divide by "energy near stack" using "mathematics attribute".

*Polarity reversal (depending on AVO class): *
Assuming the horizon you work with is the "top sand" and consistently
picked on a peak. If there is a polarity reversal the gas (or light oil)
section is characterized by a strong through above this peak and weak
negative side lobe below the peak, while the none gas section is
characterized by a weak negative sidelobe above the peak and stronger
through below the peak. Using the "volume statistics attribute" with
appropriate time windows one can extract the minimum values in a window
above and below the horizon. Divide the MinimumAbove and MinimumBelow
using the "mathematics attribute" will give you a ratio between upper
and lower minimum and reveal where phase reversal takes place. Ofcourse
this assumes all else (thickness, embedding lithology, ...) remains
constant. Variants of this attribute should be used when data is
European polarity  (through is AI increase), the horizon is interpreted
on zero-crossing etc.  Another use of the same kind of attribute (in AVO
class 2b or 3) is that it can be used to separate bright spots from hard
streaks.

*Frequency effects:*
The use of frequency effects to explore for HC is a widely debated
subject, with no consensus on how to handle this in a unified way, but
the general idea is that HC are associated with a bias to lower
frequency. Among the many ways to extract frequency attributes in
OpendTect I will explain two:
/Simple but robust:/ Look at the amplitudes of the low frequencies using
a "CWT" or "Frequency filter" -> "energy attribute". This will work only
in a bright spot regime and emphasize area where there is and a
frequency bias to low frequency and overall increase in reflection
coefficient, which both can be related to HC presence.
/More complex:/ Use bandpass filters to isolate parts of the spectrum
well below and well above the dominant frequency using the "frequency
filter attribute" (for example Fdom=30 take LP  <15hz and HP >45hz).
Take the energy of each frequency band. Divide the EnergyOfLP by
EnergyOf HP. This emphasizes areas where the spectrum is biased to the
low pass and is due to the normalization in the division independent of
amplitudes (measures only frequency effect). This attribute has some
pittfalls, among other the choice of extraction windows in relation to
the horizon.

*Flatness: *
The OpendTect volume viewer is a good tool to verify suspected flatspots.

*QC:*
Major QC's  1) structural conformance: attributes should highlight the
(complete) updip parts of the channels, unless you have a goods reason
to assume exceptions such as compartments in the channel, or updip
decrease in reservoir quality or thickness. 2) (if pressure
communication) each HC indicator should have a single downdip limit 3)
all valid HC attribute should have mutually consistent lower limit
cut-offs,

*Using well information and neural networks:*
if you have multiple well penetrations in the channel (minimal one wet
and one HC) you can use a neural network trained using well calibration
to predict HC phase. Input attribute can be the one described above
and/or seismic waveform. You can use OpendTect default attribute set
"Unsupervised Segmentation 2D" as a shortcut to create waveform attributes.

*Before applying attributes analyze and acknowledge factors as these:*
seismic data quality: does the data allow meaningful analysis
seismic data processing: e.g. agc, adaptive spectral compensation and
other cosmetics good for horizon tracking can be fatal for attributes,
when using partial offset/angle stack, be sure you know how they are
extracted and compensated for fold variations per depth (especially if
your horizon has significant structural relief).
geology: are there carbonates or coals which have significant amplitude
attributes will work for that to), are there gas chimneys - gas chimney
are a useful exploration tool themselves, but will skew frequency
response below the gas chimney.
rock properties: which AVO class is my channel.
fluid properties: a heavy oil would give you another (or none) AVO
response compared to gas or high GOR oil.
geophysics: is the target very shallow, or very deep. What are the
implications for my attributes (intrinsic attenuation, angle of
incidence, mutes and folds)
attributes: using the above factors decide what attributes to apply and
assign confidence level to each of them.

I hope this helps you out.

--
Friso GC Brouwer
Chief Geophysicist