[Users] Start time in SMT SEG-Y files ...?

Bert Bril bert at opendtect.org
Fri Dec 4 14:18:41 CET 2009

Dear users,

As you know, SEG-Y import can be a difficult job. We try to provide a
flexible loading tool that can handle many variants, even some that are
clearly violating the standard.

Most 'large' vendors nowadays deliver Revision 1 SEG-Y files (as
OpendTect does), which makes life a lot easier. This includes Landmark,
Schlumberger, H&R and SMT software.

One of the problems still remaining in the SEG-Y standard is that there
is no clear statement on how to handle the time of the first sample. The
two common ways are: via the 'delrt' or the 'laga' trace header field.
The 'laga' method is used - as far as I know - by H&R and I believe also
Petrel and SMT. The sign of this value is described in a rather cryptic
way in the SEG-Y standard, but I agree with H&R (and I think Petrel)
that it should be opposite to the 'delrt' method. So data starting at
100 ms should get '-100' in the 'laga' field, and/or '100' in delrt
(OpendTect reads/writes both).

A few days ago I got a support call about a problem with start time with
an SMT-generated SEG-Y file. It said that the sign in the SMT file was
opposite the above stated (i.e. laga was filled in the same way as
delrt). I think that is not right, and all SEG-Y files I have seen so
far had the opposite sign.

Is there maybe a setting in the software to prevent this?

Otherwise I can only hope that SMT will change this. If you are
confronted with this problem, you can work around it by using an
overrule for the start time.

Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- mailto:Bert.Bril at opendtect.org , http://opendtect.org