[Users] Open Seismic Repository

Jan Stellingwerff jan.stellingwerff at dgbes.com
Tue Nov 10 10:47:23 CET 2009

Dear OpendTect users,

you are all aware that about 2 months ago, version 4.0 of OpendTect was
released under the GNU GPL license. This means that now OpendTect is a
complete seismic interpretation system, which can be freely used,
including for commercial purposes.

Indeed, we believe that sharing our technology is beneficial to the
entire seismic community. During the last 2 months, more than 5500
people have downloaded Opendtect. The OpendTect community has grown into
a movement!

Now we go one step further:

Why only share the technology? Data should be shared too!

We have started the *_Open Seismic Repository_*.

In the OSR, free and public datasets are and will be made available. You
can find this Open Seismic Repository at http://opendtect.org/osr .

As our datasets are quite often big sized, we do use the bit-torrent
technology: this technology enables users to share files with each
another under the principle "freely you receive, freely you give". One
of the advantages of this technology is, that the more people download
the datasets and share these files, the faster the downloads will be.
Another advantage is that, if ever the download is interrupted, for
example because of a bad internet link, the download will simply resume
as soon as the internet link is operational again.

But the main advantage is, that everybody can now actively participate
in the movement, which we have started 6 years ago, when we decided to
make OpendTect the first high level open source seismic interpretation
system.

By sharing the datasets, which you have downloaded from the OSR, and
making them available for others to download, you help the entire
seismic community.

If you are not familiar with this technology, it is all explained in
http://opendtect.org/osr/index.php?n=Main.HowToDownloadTorrentsFiles.

Download the datasets and help seeding!
If you do have datasets, which can be made available to the seismic
community, just contact us, so that we add these datasets to the OSR.

Join the Movement!

--
Jan Stellingwerff Beintema
Marketing Director