[OpendTect_Users] Session on Natural Gas Seepage and Focused fluid flow on continental margins

Zahie Anka zahie at gfz-potsdam.de
Fri Dec 17 16:12:31 CET 2010

Dear Opendtect users and colleagues

Please allow me to draw your attention to the up-coming session on
*"Natural gas seepage and focused fluid flow on continental margins"*  (session TS5.4/  BG3.8/ SSP2.5)
that Christian Berndt, Aurelien Gay and myself will be   convening at the  next*   EGU 2011 (03 Apr  - 08 Apr 2011,Vienna,Austria  ) .*

The session aims at bringing together a wide range of geoscientists
addressing the dynamics of natural gas seepage and focused
fluid flow in sedimentary basins and continental margins at different
spatial and temporal scales ( _see session description below)._
Scientific exchange among  young and confirmed scientists is
particularly encouraged.

We kindly  invite you to submit a contribution to this session.

*The deadline for Abstracts submission is 10 Jan 2011. *

**

The session link is
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2011/session/7159)
<http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2011/session/7159>

Further information about the EGU General Assembly 2011 can be found at:
http://meetings.copernicus.org/egu2011

Should you need any further information please do not hesitate in
contacting me, Christian or Aurelien.
We look forward to meeting you in Vienna

Best regards,
Zahie, Christian & Aurélien

Zahie Anka <zahie at gfz-potsdam.de>

Christian Berndt <cberndt at ifm-geomar.de>
Aurélien Gay <aurelien.gay at gm.univ-montp2.fr>

_*Session description:*_

    *"Natural gas seepage and focused fluid flow on continental margins"*

TS5.4/BG3.8/SSP2.5

Seabed leakage of liquid and gaseous hydrocarbon through focused fluid
flow systems is a process recognized along most continental margins.
Studying the abundance, distribution and drivers for fluid migration is
crucial to understand their role on a variety of phenomena such as
submarine slope stability, gas hydrate dynamics, the global carbon
cycle, and climate change. In addition fluid migration is of significant
economic importance as it controls the distribution of hydrocarbon
resources.

This session aims to bring together a wide range of geoscientists
addressing the dynamics of natural gas seepage and focused fluid flow in
sedimentary basins and continental margins at different spatial and
temporal scales. We seek contributions from geophysicists, geochemists,
structural and petroleum geologists, on identification, descriptions,
and distribution of leakage indicators worldwide, as well as geochemical
evidences from sampling campaigns or laboratory measurements. Studies
yielding constraints on the controlling mechanisms are also invited. We
also encourage submissions on modelling of the deeper hydrocarbon
systems that may feed these fluxes and quantifications and predictions
of volumes expelled through time.