[OpendTect_Users] State Planes

Paul de Groot paul.degroot at dgbes.com
Fri Dec 2 09:48:57 CET 2011

Hello Tom,

Geographic referencing in OpendTect is done in X,Y (=Cartesian)
co-ordinates. OpendTect does not know which projection system was used to
create the X,Y co-ordinates. The State Plane Projections System is a set of
124 geographic zones used in the USA, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Plane_Coordinate_System). The SPS
projections generate Cartesian co-ordinates, so the answer to your question
is yes: OpendTect does work work with State Plane Projections.

However, OpendTect does not support any projection systems itself. If you
don't have X,Y co-ordinates for your data you will have to do the
projection to State Plane co-ordinates with other software.

Best regards,

Paul.

--
*Paul de Groot
President
On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Donahoe, Thomas <ThomasDonahoe at cnxgas.com>wrote:

> All,****
>
> ** **
>
> I am curious if there is a way to work with state plane projections within
> OpendTect.****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks for the help.****
>
> ** **
>
> *Tom Donahoe*
>
> Associate Geophysicist****
>
> CONSOL Energy, Inc.****
>
> 280 Indian Springs Rd., Suite 333****
>
> Indiana, Pennsylvania 15701****
>
> 724.464.2944 (office)****
>
> ThomasDonahoe at consolenergy.com****
>
> ** **
>
> "This communication, including any attachments, may contain confidential
> and privileged information that is subject to the CONSOL Energy Inc.'s
> Business Information Protection Policy. The information is intended solely
> for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended
> recipient, you are prohibited from any use, distribution, or copying of
> this communication. If you have received this communication in error,
> please immediately notify the sender and then delete this communication in
> its entirety from your system."

*
*