[OpendTect_Users] Importing a picture

Bert Bril bert at opendtect.org
Tue Dec 13 11:21:12 CET 2011

Hi,

I get (variants) of this question every once in a while:

"I would like to import a raster picture and pick it. This is useful
when you want to create a survey with published data. Is it possible in
OpendTect or maybe there is a trick to read raster files as false segy?"

To start at the end: don't even think about SEG-Y! That is like
e-mailing your text in Morse code (and will be similarly difficult to do).

Just use the 'Simple File' format to import your data. The simplest
'simple file' is just a matrix of data points. Time/depth is the fastest
dimension. Like:

trc1_samp1 trc1_samp2 ... trc1_sampN
trc2_samp1 trc2_samp2 ... trc2_sampN
trcN_samp1 trcN_samp2 ... trcN_sampN

The import is accessible through Survey-Import-Seismics-Simple File. And
if you want to export: yes, there's also an export going in the reverse
direction.

More info at:

http://www.opendtect.org/rel/doc/User/base/chapter5.3_import.htm#LINK-SURVEY.IMPORT.SEISMICS.SIMPLE

Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- mailto:Bert.Bril at opendtect.org , http://opendtect.org