[OpendTect_Users] Steering Cube

Friso Brouwer friso.brouwer at dgbes.com
Fri Jan 6 17:29:18 CET 2012

Dear Septian,

Welcome to working with OpendTect, of course I am bit biased, but I predict
you will enjoy the software.

As for the SteeringCube, while the name suggests it is a 3D volume, it
works just fine on 2D data too. The result are 2D "SteeringLines", that
contain the apparent reflector dip that is seen by the 2D seismic sections.
This dip can be used in applications such as dip-steered (median) filters,
dip steered attributes (similarity) and the HorizonCube/SSIS (again the
HorizonCube has a 2D equivalent, seamlessly integrated in the software).

Except for very special situations I would recommend against interpolating
2D dips in 3D space. The only situation I envision that would work is when
you have a *very* dense grid of 2D lines and then it still will be
complicated, as you need to handle the transformation from 1 component
apparent dips in multiple directions to a 2 component full dip
representation.

In case you have only 6 2D lines and you do need a 3D dip cube for some
reason I would recommend the following workflow  which would work best in
cases of widely spaced constraints from the 2D data (though again this
workflow would work better with denser control):

   1. Interpreted a set of horizons on 2D covering all major structural and
   stratigraphic trends in the data.
   2. Expand the horizons on the 2D lines to horizons in 3D space using the
   horizon interpolation tools.
   3. [optional]: edit the 3D horizons, so it reflects your best
   understanding of the 3D structural geology.
   4. Create a Modelbased HorizonCube.
   5. Use the HorizonCube to SteeringCube option in OpendTect to create a
   3D model of the dips.

I hope this gives you a good start, let me know if you have questions.

Cheers,

Friso