[OpendTect_Users] Urgent hotfix for OpendTect

Kristofer Tingdahl kristofer.tingdahl at dgbes.com
Wed Jul 25 17:09:09 CEST 2012

Dear OpendTect user,

Today we release OpendTect 4.4.0b with some urgency. We discovered a
problem on Linux that can, in some very uncommon circumstances have rather
serious consequences. The problem is that only for version 4.4.0a on Linux,
if OpendTect's main application should crash, then the GNU debugger (gdb)
will be used to collect information to send to opendtect.org. This program
is always installed in normal circumstances, but some people may have
explicitly unselected this program during installation. Only in that case
OpendTect 4.4.0a will - regrettably - attempt to remove your home directory.

Therefore, could you please check whether you have the GNU debugger ('gdb')
installed? This is the default on all Linux distributions - but it is
possible to explicitly choose not to install it. If so, and you are running
OpendTect 4.4.0a, we ask if you could address this issue by either:

   1. Update to OpendTect 4.4.0b.
   2. Install the GNU debugger (if it not installed), or
   3. If none of the above is possible, please apply the following two
   changes to your OpendTect installation using your editor of choice. Please
   note the slight difference in file names.

   Remove line 130 :  'rm -rf $startdir' in
   '%INSTALL_DIR%/OpendTect/4.4.0/.start_dtect'

   Remove line 130 :  'rm -rf $startdir' in
   '%INSTALL_DIR%/OpendTect/4.4.0/start_dtect'

Even if these circumstances do not exist on your installation of OpendTect,
it may still be a good idea to upgrade OpendTect, as 4.4.0b contains other
bug-fixes and functionality improvements.
On behalf of the entire staff at dGB Earth Sciences, I apologize for any
inconvenience that this may have caused.

Sincerely,

Kristofer Tingdahl

--
Kristofer Tingdahl, Ph. D.