[OpendTect_Users] One line survey set up in OpendTect

Paul de Groot paul.degroot at dgbes.com
Mon Jun 17 09:20:45 CEST 2013

Hello Mohamed,

Please find below my answer to a similar question on LinkedIn a few weeks
ago.

The question was:
*Is there a way to import 2D segy lines into an opendTect scene without
having header navigation?*

My response:
*No, that is not possible. Each trace in a 2D line must have X,Y
co-ordinates in the header. This information is used by OpendTect to
position the trace in the inline, crossline c-ordinate system that is
defined in the survey setup. Note that lines do not have to lie inside the
survey boundaries. They can stick out, or even lie completely outside the
survey box. If there are no X,Y co-ordinates in the SEGY headers and
assuming you don't have any other geographic data (wells, 3D seismic) you
could create your own fake X,Y co-ordinates and reference them to a dummy
inline, crossline grid space defined in the survey setup window. During
SEGY import you could then compute fake X and Y header values from other
trace headers (there is always a trace number that can be used).
*

For your question the answer is: probably yes, but to play it safe I would
set up a dummy survey as explained above.

I hope this helps. Best regards,

Paul.

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Mohamed Adrar <timaou01 at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I just wonder whether it is possible to set up a survey with a single 2D
> line coordinates in OpendTect. This is for the purpose to import a
> synthetic seismic section for attribute analyses.
> Your help and assistance are highly appreciated.
>
> Best regards
>
> Mohamed

*Paul de Groot
President
dGB Earth Sciences, Nijverheidstraat 11-2, 7511 JM Enschede, The
Netherlands.
Tel. +31 53 43 15 155, Fax +31 53 43 15 104.
paul.degroot at dgbes.com, www.dgbes.com, www.opendtect.org.

*