[OpendTect_Users] Time-to-depth 2D horizons conversion with well sonic information

Paul de Groot paul.degroot at dgbes.com
Thu May 2 18:04:11 CEST 2013

Hi Gery,

There are several tools in OpendTect to make life easier:

   1. There is an extensive Rock-physics library integrated in the "Manage
   Well" utility. Press on "Create..." and then on the little icon on the
   right-hand side of the first line. This will open the Rock-Physics window.
   Chose Velocity -> Velocity from Sonic. Press OK to generate a Velocity log
   in the units that you want (m/s).
   2. In the Volume Builder you can build a velocity model that you can
   then use to convert any data from time-to depth. This can be done
   on-the-fly, or in batch. You want to use the option "horizon-based painter"
   several times. The velocities (or gradients) you can get from the velocity
   log that you have calculated. This step you need to do in a spreadsheet.
   3. Alternatively, if you have a HorizonCube (you need a commercial
   license for this) you can interpolate the well data along the horizons of
   the HorizonCube to create the velocity model.

Good luck and best regards,

Paul.

--
*Paul de Groot