[OpendTect_Users] Mapping horizons across thrust faults 'MANUALLY'

Dirk Nieuwland Dirk.Nieuwland at taqaglobal.com
Wed May 22 21:22:55 CEST 2013

Dear All,

This problem exists as long as mapping in fold and thrust belts exists (decades).
In handdrawn maps one could use a hatching for the overthrusted zone, in interpretation software this is not possible and would not look nice.
Until now the best practical solution is to name the upthrown and downthrown elements slightly different, for example by adding 'U' and 'D' to respectively the Upthrown and Downthrown unit (e.g. unit-U and unit-D). The underthrown unit is now normally not visible in the overthrusted section.
In situations where it is desirable to see the underthrusted unit it can be chosen to do so.

Regards, Dirk

Dirk Nieuwland
Geo-mechanics and seismicity advisor, TAQA Energy B.V.