[OpendTect_Users] Importing digitized seismic images (solved!).

Alex Antunes alex at geologia.ufrn.br
Wed Feb 5 22:04:08 CET 2014

Dear OpendTect community,

Last week I posted a question about importing digitized images into
OpendTect. I received several suggestions and contributions, and I wish
here to thank you all for sending the replies.

After some more internet search, I came across the free software kogeo
(http://www.kogeo.de/), which is also a platform for analysis and
interpretation of seismic data. To my surprise, among many other
features, kogeo can import bitmaps and convert them into seismic data
and then export them as a SEG -Y file. I decided to test it and it
really worked!

So I decided to post the steps I took and the results I got. Of course,
first it'll be necessary some bitmap edition in a proper image editor
software. The original bitmap came from a presentation and can be seen
in the figure section1_original_bitmap.jpg.

Launch kogeo and go to Data > Import bitmap data (kogeo_screen1.jpg);

Select the desired file in the window that opens. You'll need to
properly set the importing parameters so that the SEG-Y conversion
occurs correctly: check the "resample image before transformation"
option and then the number of traces and samples, the resampling mode
(for me "InterpolationModeHighQualityBilinear" worked just fine) the
sample rate for the seismic data to be generated, chose between little
ou big endian modes, and click ok (kogeo_screen2.jpg);

Wait for the data processing and voila, behold the seismic data just
converted from the bitmap (kogeo_screen3.jpg)!

The data is generated without coordinates that can be loaded from an
additional file in kogeo own, but I preferred to perform this step
directly into OpendTect while loading the SEG-Y data. I repeated the
procedure for all bitmaps and then converted and loaded into OpendTect
(the result can be seen in the attached figure OpendTect_scene.jpg).

Fantastic! Hope it works for you too.

Have fun and best regards,

Alex Antunes.