[OpendTect_Users] Sweetness Attribute

Farrukh Qayyum farrukh.qayyum at dgbes.com
Mon Jan 27 17:48:52 CET 2014

Hi Rene and others,

I believe my colleague (Friso Brouwer) has already furnished the concept &
implications very well.

Some other ideas that came across are below:

1- Try cross-plotting the two attributes along a given event that you are
familiar with. See what comes up. This is a statistical way to look at the
things. I am certain that you will find minor statistical differences due
to the fact that has been earlier explained by Ross.

2- Try *Spectral Decomposition *on the same horizon/volume. The advantage
of this approach would be to recognize the freq. response generated by a
specific feature. You may also cross-plot the sweetness (x-axis) vs spectra
decomp (y-axis) to see the trend and clusters. Note that in OpendTect you
can link the cross-plot with the scene by displaying the extracted point
data in the scene. This will help you to locate the odd responses (such
tuning effects, anomalies of any kind, geologic feature or noise).

3- HorizonCube density is a stratigraphic attribute that has recently been
introduced by us. You may want to use such an attribute to describe the
geometrical meaning behind the sweetness. Here you can certainly create
geobodies of good and bad sweetness by combining various attributes
(sweetness, spectral decomp, HC density, ...). You may use if/then
statements or Neural Networks.

4- Try any other seismic attribute that is not dependent on frequency or
amplitude. This is hard though as these two are the primary components of a
reflected wave/sound.

*5- *Plz don't mind if I close my e-mail like this,

*''Don't believe any thing & keep on evaluating until death! Cheers :-)''*

Best regards,

*Farrukh*