[Announce] The test version of OpendTect V4.0 is now available for download

Jan Stellingwerff jan.stellingwerff at dgbes.com
Mon Aug 24 12:42:20 CEST 2009

Dear OpendTect user,

We are in the process of finalizing OpendTect v4.0. This will be a major release with many new and improved functionalities.
Please see this video for the highlights: http://www.opendtect.org/tutorials/New_in_OD_4.0/New_in_OD_4.0.html .

To ensure that this will be our best release ever we are first releasing a Release Candidate for external testing. We invite you to install and test "OpendTect v4.0.1 RC1" that can be downloaded from the www.opendtect.org download center. Your feedback to
support at opendtect.org will be highly appreciated.

OpendTect v4.0 is _completely free_!
Complete because with this release OpendTect supports all functionalities needed in seismic interpretation projects.
Free because the software is open source, and can be used at no cost as dGB has changed its licensing policy.
Henceforth OpendTect is released under a triple licensing strategy:
1) under the GNU / GPL license,
2) under a commercial license and,
3) under an academic license.

Under the GNU / GPL license OpendTect is completely free-of-charge, including for commercial use.
The commercial license enables the user to extend the system with (closed source) commercial plugins that can either be purchased or leased.
Under the academic license agreement universities can get free licenses for OpendTect and commercial plugins for R&D and educational purposes.

This release candidate includes all dGB plugins. To test these as well you will need a new license key. Please send your requests to
info at dgbes.com.

Thank you and best regards,

--
Jan Stellingwerff Beintema