[OpendTect_Announce] OpendTect v4.2 is released!

Paul de Groot paul.degroot at dgbes.com
Wed Apr 27 16:20:28 CEST 2011

Dear OpendTect user,

It is my pleasure to announce the official release of OpendTect v4.2.
To download, please visit the download center at www.opendtect.org.
Commercial and Academic users: please be aware that commercial plugins
require a new license key. Please contact support at dgbes.com if your license
needs upgrading.

Version 4.2 is a major release with many new features & improvements in the
open source part of the system as well as two new commercial plugins: *
HorizonCube* and *Well Correlation Panel*. Highlights in v4.2 are:

*Open Source part:*
- Wacom digitizing tablet support especially for horizons, faults, & polygon
picking. See also this YouTube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txU_RmAiFHo
- Multimachine batch processing on Windows
- Probability Density Function (PDF) support and Bayesian inversion
- Gridding using GMT algorithms
- Improved 2D Viewer (e.g. added tree, horizon/fault tracking)
- Export of cultural data to GoogleEarth: wells, survey area, 2D
lines, random lines, polygons (e.g. concession boundaries)
- Directional lighting
- Cross-plot colour coding using wells, attributes (zones)
- Interactive fault construction from faultsticksets
- Translation of gui text using Google-translate
- Improved Stratigraphic Model building
- New toolbar icons.

*Commercial plugins:*
- New HorizonCube plugin auto-tracks hundreds of horizons from
pre-calculated dips for detailed geologic model building, seismic
inversions, correlations, Wheeler transforms and sequence stratigraphic
interpretations. For more info on this game-changer, please view our latest
webinar: http://www.opendtect.org/tutorials/Webinar_TheHorizonCube .
- New Well Correlation Panel plugin picks and correlates well log markers
optionally guided by horizons from the HorizonCube.
- Common Contour Binning supports a local mode for enhancing 4D
fluid-effects and a new structural display to facilitate flat-spot
recognition.
- Spectral Bluing and Colored Inversion plugins come with a new seismic
viewer for movie-style inspection of parameter settings.

In addition a *Petrel connection*, developed by Ark cls, will soon be
released via Schlumberger's Ocean Store. And in May at the EAGE conference
in Vienna, Geoinfo will demo their *Log Analysis Software* (LAS) plugin that
is also due to be released shortly.

With more than 52.000 downloads, an exponentially growing user base, an
exiting new release, new game-changing plugins and more plugins to come, the
future of OpendTect looks brighter than ever. We thank you for your
continued support and we hope that the new release meets your expectation.
Please do not hesitate to share this information with other potential users.

Thanks and best regards,

Paul.

--
*Paul de Groot