[OpendTect_Announce] Release of OpendTect version 4.4

Kristofer Tingdahl kristofer.tingdahl at dgbes.com
Thu Jul 5 15:38:06 CEST 2012

Dear users,

During the past months we have worked hard to finalize OpendTect version 4.4
.0 and I am pleased to inform you that as of today, the version 4.4.0a is
available as the new stable release.

For a year now, we have been especially emphasizing 'usability', and some
developments in that area are still ongoing. For example, we want to make
the entire path from the discovery of OpendTect to the first usage much
easier. This is reflected in the adoption of a new installation manager.
With this tool it's much easier to install and manage the application, and
to select only those components you really need / want. Henceforth,
OpendTect will inform you when there are updates available and, depending
on your own preferences, it may then automatically start-up the
installation manager.

For the rest, well, as usual the new release is full of new functionality.
A short (by no means complete) list of highlights is at the end of this
e-mail. And as always, you can download material (including the installer)
at the download page of the web site:
http://download.opendtect.org

Note for users of the commercial plugins: To run the 4.4.0 plugins you will
need new license keys, which can be obtained - as usual - by sending a
request to support at dgbes.com.

Sincerely,

Kristofer Tingdahl
CEO - dGB Earth Sciences

*Short list of highlights in OpendTect:*

   - SEG-Y header manipulation tool
   - Load cubes from other surveys (sinc interpolation)
   - Create cubes from 2D data
   - Create cubes from well logs, along the deviated well tracks.
   - Attribute that snaps on-the-fly to an event and returns the amplitude
   - Four new default attributes for faults and AVO
   - The variogram tool is now anisotropic and well specific
   - Tool for bulk modification of well logs (filter, clip, etc.)
   - Log creation mathematics extended by the Rock Physics library
   - Checkshot editor
   - 3D Pre-stack event visualization
   - Multi-gather pre-stack viewer
   - Improved manual classification tool in crossplot module
   - Basic layer modelling (generation of properties, synthetics, and
   extraction of attributes)

*Short list of highlights in dGB plugins:*

   -  Dip-steering
   - perpendicular dip extractor attribute
   - HorizonCube:
   - 3D Slider
   - 3D editor
   - model in-fill on 2nd iteration
   - SynthRock: Preview (pre-alpha) release
   - Stochastic pseudo-well generation
   - Profile modelling
   - Synthetic-to-seismic crossplot extraction
   - HitCube inversion

*New ARK CLS plugins:*

   - Seismic Feature Enhancement: flat-spot utility enhancing flat events
   - Seismic Net Pay: estimates net pay from seismic colour inverted data

*
New SITFAL plugin:*

   - New plugin CLAS Lite (petrophysics): log editing and calculation of
   derived logs

--
Kristofer Tingdahl, Ph. D.
CEO