[OpendTect_Announce] OpendTect v5.0 Beta release

Paul de Groot paul.degroot at dgbes.com
Tue Jul 15 13:44:49 CEST 2014

Dear OpendTect users,

It is a joy to hereby announce the *Beta release of OpendTect v5.0* + the
plugins by dGB (plugins by other vendors will follow soon). We kindly
invite you to start using this version and to send us relevant feedback.
The official release of OpendTect v5.0.1 is scheduled for October (SEG
conference in Denver).

This is the first release that is built on *Open Scene Graph* (OSG), an
OpenGL graphics library. OSG replaces COIN, which is no longer actively
supported. In this first release you will notice only small changes in
visualization capabilities. The move to OSG prepares OpendTect for the
future. It ensures better handling of modern hardware features, increased
stability and the possibility to develop new visualization options.

Another major change in this version is the way OpendTect handles *2D
seismic*. The concept of linesets has been removed and line geometries can
be displayed separately. The first time a survey is opened in v5.0
OpendTect will prompt the user to convert existing 2D data to v5.0 format.
After conversion the data remains accessible in older versions,

Another development worth mentioning is the release of a new *texture
attribute plugin* by Joanneum Institute, Austrian's renowned R&D
organization. This plugin supports analyzing texture attributes in 13
different directions, opening the way for studying anisotropy in seismic
images.

Finally, I mention the *Matlab connection* that enables Matlab programs to
be run inside OpendTect. This connection (and many other features) were
developed with funding from BG Group to whom we are grateful.

If you have OpendTect 4.6 installed, the Beta version of v5.0 is available
through the installer (available under the Tools-menu). If you do not have
OpendTect 4.6 installed, the new release is available at
http://www.opendtect.org.

Those of you who have commercial plugins may need new license files, which
can be requested from support at dgbes.com

*Highlights in OpendTect v5.0*
(see also the OpendTect Roadmap presentation
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw_jc73Z9AFGT0taLXJkLTlCSVE/edit?usp=sharing
 )

   - Rework of the 2D geometry
   - All batch processing can be restarted
   - Attributes on pre-stack gathers
   - Improved horizon-based painter
   - F-K plots on slices
   - Re-worked mathematics expressions
   - Directional texture attributes -  Plugin from Joanneum Institute
   - Improved setup for distributed computing
   - Improved handling multi-component / pre-stack interaction
   - Matlab connection

*Note:* This version is released without Help files (user docs for
OpendTect and the dGB plugins and the work flow documentation). We are in
the process of converting these documents to MadCap Flare in HTML5 format,
MadCap Flare offers Context-Sensitive Help, fully searchable index and
permanently visible TOC.

*Highlights in the plugins*

*SynthRock <http://dgbes.com/index.php/synthrock.html>*

   - Improved wedge model
   - Improved user friendliness
   - AVO cross-plotting
   - Revised HitCube inversion analysis panel
   - Multi-attribute, multi-horizon HitCube inversion

A new Module "Volume Synthetics" that supports creating pre-stack gathers
input (P-, S-, Rho / AI) volumes will be released in a patch release later.

*HorizonCube <http://dgbes.com/index.php/horizoncube.html>*

   - New Interactive 2D HorizonCube Tracking Worfkflow. We thank the
   sponsors of the OpendTect SSIS consortium for funding this work.

*SSIS <http://dgbes.com/index.php/ssis.html>*

   - Improved GUI for managing multiple interpretations
   - SystemsTracts interpretation support in new 2D HorizonCube workflow

*Dip Steering <http://dgbes.com/index.php/dip-steering.html>*

   - Dip-steered median filter attribute
   - Horizon curvature
   - Curvature gradient
   - Fracture attribute
   - Automated fault extraction

* <http://dgbes.com/index.php/dip-steering.html>**Well Correlation Panel
<http://dgbes.com/index.php/well-correlation-panel.html>*

   - Integrated structural interpretation (horizon picking)
   - Better zoom handling

We hope this release meets your expectations. Best regards,

Paul.

--
*Paul de Groot**President**______________________________*

*dGB Earth Sciences*Phone:+31 53 4315155E-mail:paul.degroot at dgbes.com