[OpendTect_Developers] A distribution dedicated to geoscientists

Bert Bril bert at opendtect.org
Fri Nov 5 15:11:34 CET 2010

Hi all,

Júlio wrote:

> OFF-TOPIC: You know some distribution dedicated to geoscientists?

Don't think there is one. Closest I know is Poseidon Linux, 'The
scientific GNU/Linux':
http://sites.google.com/site/poseidonlinux

I've tried to install it at home twice, last time was about a year ago.
The first time, like 3 years ago, a lot of Brazilian was coming through
and I didn't manage to get it working properly. A year ago or so they
also started supporting 64 bits. So I tried it again, and again I
installed CentOS after a week of misery. This doesn't say a lot about
the current version 3.2, which I have not tried.

Actually I once has the plan of making RPMs for Poseidon. Never did it
(as you might have guessed).

/Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- mailto:Bert.Bril at opendtect.org , http://opendtect.org