[OpendTect_Developers] Gearing up to next version of OpendTect

Kristofer Tingdahl kristofer.tingdahl at dgbes.com
Mon Nov 26 06:22:51 CET 2012

Dear developers!

I write to give you a heads-up on our plans for OpendTect. We released
version 4.4 this summer, and we are now in the middle of the release cycle
where we are planning for the coming release, which either will be called
4.6 or 5.0 depending on marketing considerations later on. We are targeting
releasing this next summer, but timing is at this time floating.

There are however a couple of decision being made that will affect third
party developers, and I want to give a heads up so you have enough time to
adapt.

*3rd party library dependencies
*We are planning to switch from qt 453 to 500. We are currently adapting
OpendTect to compile with the current beta, and we plan to do the switch
when 5.00 is out (schedule before year end). We have also added dependency
to the zlib which is built into QtCore. One news that some of you have
requested is that we will put the entire Qt in "OD" namespace, so plugin
developers may chose to have their own qt if desired. We will also put a
prefix on the library file-names, to avoid clashes on the library loading
as well.

We are also moving from Coin3D to OpenSceneGraph, and we are currently in
the middle of that switch. The content of our SoOD library is being moved
to a new osgGeo library which we are making available t the community under
the LGPL license (http://osggeo.googlecode.org) benefiting all
geoscientific visualization. We are planning to use the next stable
release, which should be out during the spring.

*Compilers and platforms
*Linux: We will build on RHEL/Centos 4, but we will use gcc463. The reason
for the compiler switch is that we have had quite some problem with gcc 4.1
used in OpendTect 4.4, and we want to have access to the atomic functions
not present in gcc 3.4.
Mac: We will aim to be build on MacOS 10.5, but may end up on 10.6 if we
cannot get all libraries to compile on 10.5.
Windows: We will remain on VC2010.

These decisions are not written in stone, so they may change, and we are
always listening to the development community for input on these matters.

Thanks for developing on the OpendTect platform!

Sincerely,

Kristofer Tingdahl
--
Kristofer Tingdahl, Ph. D.