[OpendTect_Developers] OD_USER_PLUGIN_DIR/ OD_APPL_PLUGIN_DIR behaviour in 4.4

Nanne Hemstra nanne.hemstra at dgbes.com
Wed Jan 9 17:17:53 CET 2013

Dear Antonio,

We have made some changes to the directory structure in OpendTect v4.4.
This also affected the usage of these two environment variables
OD_USER_PLUGIN_DIR and OD_APPL_PLUGIN_DIR.

Let me give some introduction first:
Whenever OpendTect is started, plugins can be loaded automatically. For
this OpendTect needs an 'alo' file, which lists the names of the plugin
libraries, and the library file itself.

OpendTect looks for plugins to load in two places:

- The installation directory ($DTECT_APPL)
- In your 'Personal directory' ($HOME/.od on Unix)

For both places, the alo files should be in plugins/$PLFSUBDIR and the
libraries in bin/$PLFSUBDIR
where $PLFSUBDIR can be lux32, lux64, mac, win32 or win64.

These two environment variables can be used to override the places where
OpendTect looks for plugins:

OD_APPL_PLUGIN_DIR:
Setting this variable overrides the loading of the plugins in the
installation, i.e. in $DTECT_APPL.

OD_USER_PLUGIN_DIR
Setting this variable overrides the loading of the plugins in your home
directory, i.e. in $HOME/.od. Plugins listed here will be loaded in
addition to the plugins in your OpendTect installation, or when set, the
plugins in $OD_APPL_PLUGIN_DIR.

As an example, if you have made a plugin for Linux64, and you want to load
these automatically for all users, you should set OD_USER_PLUGIN_DIR to say
/my_shared_disk/my_plugins

then add the alo files to /my_shared_disk/my_plugins/plugins/lux64
and add the libraries to /my_shared_disk/my_plugins/bin/lux64

Note that the above paths are as it should be. Currently OpendTect looks in
/my_shared_disk/my_plugins/lux64 (without bin/ ) for the libraries. This is
a bug and will be solved in the next patch release.

Best regards,
Nanne

On 20 December 2012 01:58, Corrao Antonio <Antonio.Corrao at eni.com> wrote:

>  Dear all,
>
> I have begun porting my own plugins to opendtect 4.4.
>
> In our deployment configuration we use OD_USER_PLUGIN_DIR/
> OD_APPL_PLUGIN_DIR a lot to keep many configurations available at the same
> time.
>

> Now, examining 4.4 release, my question is: does the OD_USER_PLUGIN_DIR
> work as in 4.2?
>
> I noticed that now plugins libraries are under bin/lux64 whereas the .alo
> files are in a different location (in version 4.2 the directory plugin
> directory contained the .alo and a lib directory with the .so files).
>
> I tried arranging the plugin libraries and .alo the same way I did with
> 4.2 but it does not seem to work any more.
>
> Browsing the documentation it seems that you must put all the libraries in
> the bin/lux64 dir, and keep just the alo files under the plugin directory;
> quoting from the online help:
>

> “The publishing and distribution of OpendTect plugins is pretty
> straightforward. The .alo files can be installed in the plugins/platform
> ($DTECT_APPL/plugins/$HDIR) directory, while the actual plugins (the .DLL,
> .so or .dylib files) go in the normal bin sub-directory”
>

> So is it true that if I want to make my own plugin autoload it must be
> placed in the program bin directory? Usually that is not possible as the
> permissions do not allow me to write there.
>
> Also, copying my libraries into that directory is not advisable (keeping
> stuff separate helps when you manage multiple releases of your own plugins).
>
> I used the previous directory environment variables OD_USER_PLUGIN_DIR/
> OD_APPL_PLUGIN_DIR to make  users see different subsets of the plugins, or
> even different releases of the same.
>
> Now it seems that all libraries must reside in bin/lux64.
>

> Thank you very much.
>

> Best regards,
>
> AC
>

> *Antonio Corrao*
>
> *[image: cid:image001.gif at 01CC1F96.78739D20]***
>
> Geophysical Studies & Geophysics for Reservoir
>
> *eni* S.p.A. - Exploration & Production Division
>
> 5° P.U. - Via Emilia, 1 - 20097
>
> Room: 4020E - 4th floor East side
>
> San Donato Milanese (MI), Italy
>
> mailto: antonio.corrao at eni.com
>
> Phone: +39 02 520 61150
>
> Fax:     +39 02 520 63897
>

> *eni* spa
> Sede Legale
> Piazzale Enrico Mattei, 1
> 00144 Roma - Italia
>
> Capitale sociale
> euro 4.005.358.876,00 i.v.
> Codice Fiscale e Registro Imprese di Roma n. 00484960588
> Partita IVA n. 00905811006
> R.E.A. Roma n. 756453
>
> Sedi secondarie:
> Via Emilia, 1 e Piazza Ezio Vanoni, 1
> 20097 San Donato Milanese (Milano) – Italia
>
> eni.com <http://www.eni.com>

Nanne Hemstra
Executive Vice President - Americas

dGB Earth Sciences
1, Sugar Creek Center Blvd - Suite 935
Sugar Land, TX 77478 - USA
Phone: +1 281-240-3939, Fax: +1 281-240-3944
http://www.dgbes.com , http://www.opendtect.org