[Users] gentoo/kde-3.3.2

Arend Lammertink arend.lammertink at opendtect.org
Tue Dec 14 10:08:46 CET 2004

piotr wrote:
> Bert Bril wrote:
>
>> Hi Piotr,
>>
>>> I just installed OpendTect on my Gentoo machine but unfortunately it
>>> doesn't work
>>> I had it working on different machines but do not remember libraries
>>> versions.
>>> Right now I have
>>> kde 3.3.2
>>> qt 3.3.3
>>

>> I think these versions are OK.

I think they're not necesseraly, because we're also using Qt 3.3.3. And
that might cause conflicts.

We've had problems with Qt before in that it would load plugins from the
system, even though we do not compile any plugins for Qt. It could be that
the Qt 3.3.3 on your system conflicts somehow with ours, because that is
already in memory or some other obscure reason I don't know.

It might be worth to try and launch OpendTect from another window manager
that is not based on Qt, like gnome or some other lightweight manager and
at the same time move the Qt plugins (or the complete lib) on your system
temporary away. On my (Debian) system, these are on /usr/share/qt3/plugins.

Another thing that might be at hand is the font settings. In the $HOME/.od
directory there should be a "settings" file, where some font sizes are
defined, like:

Font.def.Control: Helvetica`10`Normal`No
Font.def.Graphics small: helvetica`12`Bold`No
Font.def.Graphics medium: helvetica`14`Bold`No
Font.def.Graphics large: helvetica`18`Bold`No

Since the size of widgets like buttons, etc. is defined in terms of x
times the font width/height, that might cause strange sizes for OpendTect
windows.

A third problem I can think of is that somehow it can't find the png icon
files that should be in the "data" subdirectory of OpendTect. OpendTect
locates these icons by looking at the "DTECT_APPL" environment variable.
This should point to the OpendTect installation directory, and then you
can find the png files in the subdirectory "data".
Normally, DTECT_APPL is set from the start_dtect script, but if you have
already set it in your shell, then things might go wrong.

Hope this helps,

-- Arend --

-- Arend Lammertink / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- Boulevard 1945 - 24, 7511 AE Enschede, The Netherlands
-- mailto:Arend.Lammertink at opendtect.org , http://www.opendtect.org
-- Tel: +31 534315155 , Fax: +31 534315104
--
-- Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments and html mail.
--   http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html