[Users] Colour bar segmentation

Paul de Groot paul.degroot at opendtect.org
Mon Mar 14 18:12:38 CET 2005

Matthias Imhof of Virginia Tech wrote:

> I became a big fan of opendtect. I have one wish, though: a
> noninterpolation option for displaying. When looking at categorical
> attributes such as lithology types, seismic facies, horizon number,
> etc. interpolation does not make sense. Rather, I see a need for a
> display option which keeps the values between sampling points constant
> to the halfway point instead of linear? interpolation.

The option Matthias needs is already supported in OpendTect but
apparently it is somewhat hidden so he couldn't find it.

To display categorical data (binary numbers) OpendTect supports an
option to "segmentize" the colour bar. To use this option: Open the
colour editor (right-hand click on the colour bar), switch the
"segmentize" toggle on and specify a number of segments that corresponds
to the number of cetegories in your data.

Please note, that segmentation of colour bars is a handy tool for
on-the-fly re-clustering of data. For example, with OpendTect's neural
network module you can create waveform segmentation maps by segmenting
(clustering) waveforms along a mapped horizon using an unsupervised
neural network. Suppose you have clustered the waveforms in 10 clusters.
The colourbar with 10 segments is the one that matches the data but if
you use less segments: 9,8,7 etc. you will see immediate (visual)
re-grouping of the data.

Best regards,

Paul de Groot.

--
-- Paul de Groot
-- OpendTect Support Team
-- paul.degroot at opendtect.org
-- http://www.opendtect.org
-- Tel: +31 534315155 , Fax: +31 534315104