[Users] unsupervised NN - why should I only use phase-independent attributes?

Colin Hawke colinhawke at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Mar 2 10:57:16 CET 2007

I have a set of 3D horizons picked as part of a sequence stratigraphic study
and these nicely define stratigraphic "intervals" for volume based seismic
facies analysis. I notice that it is recommended to use phase-independent
attributes as input to the unsupervised NN. What is the reasoning behind
this? It seems intuitive to me that attributes that contain polarity
information should help with the clustering of soft vs hard lithology and
avo attributes might help for soft shale vs soft sand vs coal for example.
Is it simply that we want attributes that define "layers" rather than
"interfaces"? I know there is a good reason but am unsure what it is.

Thanks - Colin.