[Users] abort error - XY-scale

Arnaud Huck arnaud.huck at dgb-group.com
Thu Sep 6 10:27:19 CEST 2007

Dear Gery,
Unfortunately it seems like you are trying to load 12000 traces within
your 512 Mo of memory, in addition to the operating system, which might
already take half of this space. Therefore your notebook cannot allocate
so much memory.

For instance, with a 4ms sampling rate, a 32bit precision (float), and a
6 seconds trace length, loading your lineset requires 576 Mo per
attribute! So you can understand quite easily that this is not doable on
your notebook.

To overcome this, two solutions are possible (and combining them would
be optimal):
- Increase the amount of memory on your system. This is one of the few
upgrades that can be easily performed on a notebook by any user. We
would recommend 2GB, especially when working with 2D data.
- Upgrade your graphic card to a generation that supports shading. When
shading is enabled, the textures are allocated within the graphic card's
memory, and not into the system memory. Nevertheless, graphic cards also
have various amounts of memory, ranging from 128 to 1024Mo within a
single generation of GPUs, so care must be taken with respect to this.
We recommend nvidia graphic cards from generations 6, 7, or 8 (latest),
with at least 256Mo of dedicated memory (320 or 512 is better). Although
AMD (previously called ATI) GPUs (X1xx and X2xx generations) support
shading on the hardware side, they did not yet develop Linux drivers to
use it.

Concerning the line spacing, there is no option to handle this. This is
simply because the horizontal spacing is determined by the bin size
(survey geometry in general), and the amount of zoom (in or out) you
apply. The only solution to see two lines placed very close to each
other at the same time would be to load them into two 2D viewers.

Best regards,
Arnaud Huck.

-- dGB Earth Sciences B.V.
-- Nijverheidstraat 11-2, 7511 JM Enschede, The Netherlands
-- mailto: arnaud.huck at dgb-group.com, http://www.dgb-group.com
-- Tel: +31 53 4315155 , Fax: +31 53 4315104