[Users] Loading SEG-Y files with decimal degrees

Bert Bril Bert.Bril at opendtect.org
Mon Nov 24 09:37:59 CET 2008

Hi Gery,

> I want to load some SEG-Y lines with decimal degree values as
> coordinates (sx,sy). How could I load them in OD?. I've recently
> tried but with no succesful. They are scaled by 10 000. Any hint is
> very grateful.

You have the first SEG-Y file I've ever heard of actually using this
option. Indeed, it's in the SEG-Y standard, but:
1) the definition is even harder to understand than the rest of the standard
2) In the end, we all work with rectangular coordinates anyway
3) If we'd have to support everything described in the standard, then it
would be even harder for anyone to ever read or write a SEG-Y file

A I think we're already quite far in supporting all kinds of quirks
thought up by the 'data managers' that thought up SEG-Y, so we leave it
to any plugin builder to make the 'perfect SEG-Y' read and write. In the
mean time, I've now added a warning that we don't support this (which
will be in the next development release).

I would try the following:
1) You may get away by simply defining a different coordinate scaling so
that you'd get something that is comparable to meters, sort of.
2) See whether there is a processing package (Madagascar?) that can
process the file and output a SEG-Y file that's more common.

Regards, Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- mailto:Bert.Bril at opendtect.org , http://opendtect.org