[OpendTect_Users] Importing sparsely sampled horizon

Arnaud Huck arnaud.huck at dgbes.com
Wed Sep 22 11:51:21 CEST 2010

  Dear Marc, OpendTect users,

Yes you can grid your attributes in OpendTect, just like 2D and 3D
horizons. Nevertheless if you wish to load these attributes as horizons
then you will need to extend you survey range. The settings we have put
during import are too strict and we are going to change the logic
behind. Already now you can visualize and grid horizons that are
vertically outside the survey Z range. Thus please extend the Z range
for importing  the horizons, and you can later revert that change.

Let me add some words on gridding:

First of all your data must be along the seismic grid along inlines and
crosslines. If you follow this criteria then the sparseness of your data
is not a problem. For instance you cannot load a north-oriented grid of
points if the seismic survey is not north-oriented too.

Attribute data such as residual source and receiver statics should be
loaded as grid in the menu Survey --> Import --> Horizon --> Ascii -->
Attribute 3D. This implies that you have at least one supporting 3D
horizon to hold the attributes. You could create for instance an
additional column if your input file with a constant TWT column.  If you
have attributes and the supporting horizon is the same input file, you
need to use the menu Survey --> Import --> Horizon --> Ascii --> Horizon
3D that also allows you to import grids while importing the horizon.

I would advise not to grid the horizon and grids during import, but to
do this in the scene, where you have more controls of the gridding
process by visualizing the input and output grids. The following steps
should be followed:

1- Make sure that the supporting horizon contains the output grid
definition: The output small inline/crossline steps, and the desired
ranges. If that is not the case, grid the supporting horizon to this
geometry. A better alternative however is to scan the horizon during
import, and change the volume sub-selection by extending the
inline/crossline ranges, and lower the steps to the survey defaults.
Gridding should be considered as an interactive procedure, containing
the following steps:

a- First you may want to fill only small holes using inverse distance
weighting to the convex hull. The parameter size should be about the
size of your holes, neither much smaller nor much larger.
A much better alternative available in the latest development release
4.1.1 only is to perform a triangulation with again an interpolation
limited to the maximum size of your holes.

b- Fill most of the remaining space with a triangulation using a much
larger limit (2000 - 10000 meters gives better results than no limit).
The output geometry may then be "to the full survey".

2- Grid your 3D attributes using the same gridding method as for the
horizon. All values are allowed: negative only, positive only, both,
integers only, ... Please note that for this last kind you will need to
toggle on the option "Values are classification" in the gridding window.

Let me also add to finish that several gridding methods from GMT will
become available in the next major stable release 4.2. This will be at
least the methods "Continuous curvature" and "Nearest neighbour". This
continuous curvature is  a very good alternative to the triangulation.

Please note also that you can combine grids using several horizon and
mathematics attributes, to be output as a grid on any horizon. The
output grid can be converted into an horizon using ascii export + import.

Best regards,
Arnaud.

-- Senior Geoscientist
-- dGB Earth Sciences
-- Nijverheidstraat 11-2, 7511 JM Enschede, The Netherlands
-- mailto: arnaud.huck at dgbes.com, http://www.dgbes.com
-- Tel: +31 53 4315155 , Fax: +31 53 4315104