[OpendTect_Users] New SEG-Y zipper

Bert Bril bert at opendtect.org
Thu Jan 20 14:19:04 CET 2011

Hi all,

I have made a little SEG-Y zipper. This came up when someone asked our
help in what SEG-Y files were and how they could be compressed. As a
result, I ended up making a simple program to show how it could be done.
Of course, there are no sophisticated things in there, but I guess it's
already usable as-is.

The program is available (for free, why not) on sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/segyzip

If you are into programming, and you like making your own compression:
it's set up with the purpose of putting in better stuff.

As is, the program will at least reduce to 50%, without loss that you
can detect in the FFT spectrum shapes. By setting the compression level
higher, you will get deterioration but still random in frequency, to
typically 4x smaller.

I'm sure it can be done better, but 50% (or even 75%) less space or
download time can already be considerable. The program is tiny (like
30kb), so you can even send it together with the data.

BTW: to make sure spikes wouldn't kill entire traces, I had to add some
spike detection and repair. I guess you could even use it just for that
only (setting the compression level to 0 will not compress at all).

Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- mailto:Bert.Bril at opendtect.org , http://opendtect.org