[OpendTect_Users] Feedback on ISPoo3

Paul de Groot paul.degroot at dgbes.com
Thu Jul 28 13:56:41 CEST 2011

Dear all,

As promised I am coming back on my small questionnaire on who is using
ISPoo3 and whether there would be any interest in someone developing a
direct link.

ISPoo3 seems to be very well appreciated by those who used it in the past
and those still using it. Especially the image ray depth conversion feature
is appreciated by the respondents. A few interesting comments I received:

*"My general recommendation to interpreters is that if they are worried
about mis-positioning from time migration then they can use map migration
(if they have the software in-house) but they should be using prestack depth
migration. Map migration provides a visual tool for convincing managers that
depth imaging is required so it still has a place."*

*"Map-migration is unfortunately a functionality, what most interpreters
don't know or want to avoid as it is to difficult for them. But I hope that
we can still keep it, because it gives in certain areas more plausible
results."*
*
*
*"There is an openspirit link in ISP003 , which I have never had time to
investigate - I know some years ago - this was going/supposed to be the way
to transfer data between packages . Maybe this would be a way forward." *

*"GMT works fine."*
*
*
*"Rather than trying to link to a particular software brand, I suggest you
look at integration through OpenSpirit."*
*
*
*Given the small number of active users that use both systems I do not
believe that Atos Origin, the owners of ISPoo3, can be encouraged to develop
a direct link. Neither are we  going to develop such a link ourselves. A
link through OpenSpirit, as suggested by several respondents, might thus be
the best way forward. However, we do not have plans to develop an OpenSpirit
connection either. This means that unless someone steps forward to develop
the link (direct, or via OpenSpirit) themselves, or someone is willing to
fund such a development, no links will exist in the near future.*
*
*
*Best regards,*
*