[OpendTect_Users] Asking about how to build a synthetic model

Farrukh Qayyum farrukh.qayyum at dgbes.com
Mon Mar 26 16:50:45 CEST 2012

Dear Soni Satiawan,

If you are interested to create a geologic model, you can build it using
two ways:

*Method 1:* _Volume Builder_
/A simple layer based coarse geologic model.

/OpendTect's volume builder allows you to create a horizons based
geologic model. A simple model that you can think of is a model of
n-layers bounded by several interpreted horizons. Such a model is
constructed in OpendTect using the*horizons based painting* step
available under the Volume Builder toolbox. If you are interested to
know more about this, please take a look on the following webinar.

http://opendtect.org/tutorials/Webinar_Volume_Builder/

For further details, I will suggest you to read and follow the relevant
Help documentations by clicking on the Help icons available on each dialog.

*Method 2:* _HorizonCube + SSIS_
/A detailed geologic model based on sequence stratigraphic interpretation.

/Another way of creating a geologic model is to create a HorizonCube
<http://www.dgbes.com/index.php/articles-horizoncube.html> and
sub-divide the cube into sequence stratigraphic units (sequences,
systems tracts, or parasequences). For sub-divisions we use SSIS
<http://www.dgbes.com/index.php/articles-ssis.html> tools. Once this is
done, you have already created a 3D volume that defines the
stratigraphic units in 3D.

All you need initially a model that contains layers. Once the layers are
defined, you can use logical expressions in Mathematics (or Neural
Networks) to combine the seismic attributes (e.g. curvature for
fractures) per or for certain layers. As you mentioned you are
interested in fracture orientations and their density, you are probably
looking for curvature, dip and azimuth types of attributes. Please note
that OpendTect supports a series of curvature attributes (over 10).

If you or others have more interest to dig these tool in details, please
do not hesitate to contact me directly.

--
Best Regards,

*Farrukh Qayyum*,
Geoscientist,
dGB Earth Sciences B.V., Nijverheidstraat 11-2, 7511 JM Enschede, The
Netherlands.
Tel: +31 53 4315155
Fax: +31 53 4315104
http://www.dgbes.com
mailto: farrukh.qayyum at dgbes.com
http://www.facebook.com/OpendTect

intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are
not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying,
information is strictly prohibited.