[OpendTect_Users] Downloading free data without using torrents

Kristofer Tingdahl kristofer.tingdahl at dgbes.com
Tue May 8 15:05:17 CEST 2012

Dear Isaac,

and other mailing-list readers.

dGB Earth Sciences is a unique company that has a unique business model, and a
unique position in the seismic industry. While our competitors charge
money - we give away. With our open source software OpendTect, you get
a complete seismic interpretation system for free, without any strings
attached. That is what gives us among the largest user-bases in the
seismic interpretation industry. Two years ago, we saw that there was
a lack of seismic data easily available for students, researchers and
the independent geophysicists to work with. We therefor added the Open
Seismic Repository with free access to public domain seismic data. dGB
Earth Sciences is however not a charity organization, we make money by
selling software and services around the OpendTect ecosystem we have
created. We have been in business since 1995, and that is a proof that
our business model works.

The ethos of Open Source is that one receives for free, but you also
have to give for free. We could have done what everyone else does -
charge for the downloads of the seismic data as it would cost us a
fortune to make terabytes of downloads available. But we don't.
Instead, we do insist that you do to others what others have done to
you and share the data. Consequently, we do not provide any other way
to download the data.

If some University does not allow access to scientific data for their
students, that is something that should be dealt with those
Universities' IT-departments - not dGB Earth Sciences who is going
further than most to provide complete free seismic interpretation
software and data. Alternatively, you can download the data elsewhere.
Once you have downloaded, continue to seed to make it easier for other
in your situation.

Best regards,

Kristofer Tingdahl