[OpendTect_Users] OpendTect Neural Networks plugin

Paul de Groot paul.degroot at dgbes.com
Mon Mar 31 21:16:50 CEST 2014

Hi Roman,

Quick-UVQ, which is OpendTect's waveform segmentation approach is very
similar to Paradigm's Stratimagic that uses a Kohonen network. The only
difference is in the training algorithm that is used to find the cluster
centers. The UVQ algorithm only updates the winner while a Kohonen network
updates the winner and its nearest neighbors. Consequently a Kohonen
network automatically sorts the cluster centers (waveforms). This is
advantage when you color code the waveforms as similar waveforms will show
up with similar colors in the segmentation map. For this reason our UVQ
algorithm also sorts the waveforms but it does this as a separate step
after the training is finished. I have captured the algorithm in two
slides:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw_jc73Z9AFGeGxLazZfcjByNFk/edit?usp=sharing.

Best regards,

Paul de Groot