[Developers] Beta 2.0

Bert Bril Bert.Bril at opendtect.org
Fri Nov 19 18:31:21 CET 2004

Hi all,

Finally ... finally we made it. The version 2.0 beta is now in the
download center.

For developers, a main issue is that we adopted gcc/g++ 3.4 . This
finally gets us in the 'files > 2GB' part of the world. For the rest,
porting to 3.4 is relatively easy. If you don't have 3.4 yet on your
system, the following applies:

* On Linux, we recommend compiling gcc from source. If you want to use
packages be aware that it's not always 100% smooth. At home my Debian
installation feels pretty sick and I can no longer use the Gnome window
manager after apt-get gcc-3.4 :-( . Here at the office, we made gcc 3.4
from source on a SuSE 8.1 machine without any problems.

* On Solaris, there is a gcc-3.4 on sunfreeware.com which works
out-of-the-box.

* On windows, the latest version of Cygwin is based on gcc-3.4 .

For Mac, we stick to gcc 3.3 because it's part of the OS. IRIX is not in
the beta, and the release will be 3.2 unless SGI get the 3.4 working on
IRIX before Christmas.

We also plan to release Linux 64 bit in the real release and possibly
Solaris 64 bit, too.

The main software changes are the tracking system (which needs a good
redesign so don't rush making plugins for it) and 2D seismics. In some
places you now need to be aware whether the data you're handling is 2D
or 3D. But basically, the SeisTrcReader and SeisRequester know about it
which means you won't be confroneted with it in most cases.

New concepts include the BinIDValueSet (set of postions with arbitrary
number of values. Quick searching.), The RCol base class generalising
(i,j) indexed position objects (like BinID), the new multi-machine job
engine.

Hope you'll like the new stuff.

/Bert

--
-- Bert Bril / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- Boulevard 1945 - 24, 7511 AE Enschede, The Netherlands