[Developers] gdb on cygwin

Arend Lammertink arend.lammertink at opendtect.org
Fri Nov 26 12:34:01 CET 2004

Hi all,

As I reported earlier, the gdb delivered with cygwin does not work with
gcc 3.4. As said, gcc 3.4 is at experimental stage within cygwin, but we
really wanted to use it because it gets rid of the 2GB file size limit.

However, you can easily build gdb from source and install that. You can
download the gdb (6.3) sources at:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/download/

After unpacking, it's a matter of "configure --disable-nls" and make
install. Without the "--disable-nls" you will get a complaint:

  make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../intl/libintl.a',
  needed by `gdb.exe'.

I un-installed the standard gdb debugger before installing the new one and
that worked for me.

Regards,

-- Arend --

-- Arend Lammertink / OpendTect developer at dGB
-- Boulevard 1945 - 24, 7511 AE Enschede, The Netherlands
-- mailto:Arend.Lammertink at opendtect.org , http://www.opendtect.org
-- Tel: +31 534315155 , Fax: +31 534315104
--
-- Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments and html mail.
--   http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html